Suzuki Piano Instructor
LOCATION: Minneapolis, Apple Valley; onsite and in-person teaching
SCHEDULE: Weekday afternoons and evenings; Saturday teaching required
STATUS: Exempt; 900+ anticipated direct instruction hours annually, benefit eligible
WAGE: Hourly wage determined by level of experience and education
This position is responsible for maintaining high standards of teaching expertise. The instructor teaches individual Suzuki piano lessons for students of varying ages and levels. Teaching also includes Suzuki piano group classes based on a curriculum and structure agreed upon by the Suzuki Piano department.
RESPONSIBILITIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Foster a positive learning environment
- Establish a good rapport with students and families, encouraging open discussion
- Provide expert music instruction, including demonstrating the playing of the piano in lessons and playing the piano with the student
- Teach Suzuki Piano Group classes several Fridays per month from approximately 5:30 to 8:00 pm.
- Manage studio, including lesson planning, scheduling, paperwork, phone calls, and communication
- Participation in the work of the Suzuki Talent Education department, including attending monthly in-person Suzuki faculty meetings
- Engagement in the overall work and mission of MacPhail Center for Music
- Compliance with COVID-19 policies
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Music or Music Education/Pedagogy and/or SAA registered teacher training in piano required, preferably through Book 3. Master’s degree in piano performance preferred.
Experience: Minimum of three years of Suzuki studio teaching all ages and skill levels, Suzuki group teaching experience, and demonstrated cultural competency skills. Prefer experience teaching advanced piano students, and extensive performing experience.
Physical Demands: Frequently (approximately 2/3 of the day) sitting, repetitive wrist motion, grasping/pinching, bending at knees, and twisting at the neck. Occasionally (approximately 1/3 of the work day) lifting (up to approximately 10 lbs), standing, keyboarding, writing, bending at waist, twisting at the waist and turning/pivoting.