Vice President of Development
Vice president of development
MacPhail Center for Music was founded in 1907 and is the largest community music school in the nation. Its mission is to transform lives and strengthen communities through music learning experiences that inspire. Day in, and day out, students and MacPhail teaching artists join to create an innovative model of learning and performance. MacPhail believes that when all students are included, performance quality transforms. Students of all ages and backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to embrace lifelong learning. MacPhail is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
MacPhail seeks an accomplished, driven, strategic fundraising professional to lead MacPhail’s advancement efforts. Reporting to MacPhail’s CEO, this individual will direct and strengthen the comprehensive fundraising program in support of MacPhail’s mission and goals. In partnership with their team, they are responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding key individual and institutional funders in concert with strategic priorities and needs while advancing a culture of philanthropy within the organization.
The new Vice President of Development brings passion for MacPhail’s mission. Whether or not they are a musician themselves, they love music and care deeply about the vital role music and the arts can play in the communities MacPhail serves. Moreover, they are an outstanding listener, quick learner, excellent communicator, and natural relationship builder. They are enthusiastic about and skilled at communicating MacPhail’s vision.
They will promote MacPhail’s Mission and Core Values and bring those values into the workplace, ensuring high morale, productivity, and efficiency by nurturing an environment supporting accountability and results. Moreover, they demonstrate regard for dignity and respect for others and promote and contribute positively to departmental and organizational relationships, all while bringing a strong work ethic and attention to detail.
Key Accountabilities Include:
- Take a highly visible and active role in leading all aspects of growing MacPhail’s contributed revenue, including donor solicitation, events, annual fund, constituent fundraising, grants, and sponsorships.
- Ensure systems for stewardship and donor management are leading edge and strategically leveraged. In particular, ensure that donors feel appreciated and listened to.
- Ensure that MacPhail remains a vibrant and open place to work; practices active listening and collaboration; demonstrates a “service-oriented” mentality towards both external stakeholders and MacPhail colleagues; fosters and encourages an “open-door” policy with all employees; is hungry for new ideas among faculty, staff, stakeholders, and clients.
- Holds all employees accountable for their performance and uses data to inform their approach and decision making.
- Articulates strategic vision authentically and compellingly to MacPhail CEO, Board, faculty, staff, and stakeholders.
- Provide leadership, vision, and framework to develop, revise, improve, and implement strategic goals and inform programs in line with MacPhail’s mission and organization-wide strategic plan.
- Provide leadership in developing MacPhail’s short and long-range fundraising plans with the CEO, Senior Staff, Board, and peers, in line with the organization's mission.
- Serve as a “face” of MacPhail, nurturing relationships with supporters and the broader community as well as public sector, private sector and nonprofit stakeholders. Be able to “speak from the heart” regarding MacPhail’s mission, adding personal and student stories to reinforce impact.
- Work with staff to develop key marketing strategies and activities that increase the awareness and reputation of MacPhail; tell the incredible story of MacPhail and how it can serve the needs of the region and a variety of clients and stakeholders.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Driven Leader. MacPhail’s next Vice President of Development is a leader who assembles and expects their team to be experts in their area of specialty. They will take full responsibility for their actions and will expect their team to do the same. Moreover, while being an intelligent and an astute learner, they gladly rely on the expertise around them and desire to listen to the advice of their internal and external stakeholders. They will bring a track record of high standards, accountability, and unimpeachable integrity.
Excellent Communicator. They are comfortable and confident talking with anyone at any level as well as speaking publicly on MacPhail’s behalf. In addition to being an excellent communicator themselves, MacPhail’s next advancement leader will foster a culture of open communication with the organization’s stakeholders, their peers, and the community as a whole.
Donor-Focused. MacPhail employees have a deep passion for what they do and a natural commitment to participants and all stakeholders. The next advancement leader must reflect this customer-first mentality.
Great Manager. As a leader, the new Vice President of Development will have a proven ability managing complex organizational dynamics and systems. In addition, they will have demonstrated success managing through change, developing talent and instilling an employee-centered culture. They are a proven developer of people and organizations. Their team wants to work with them and produce stellar results.
Financial Acumen. Has the ability to assemble/create/administer an effective fundraising dashboard for the institution. Understands project and organizational budgets, creates project budgets, develops, and manage department budget, understands financial statements, manages project/event expenses, understands cash flow.
COMPENSATION: $120,000 - $140,000, based on qualifications and experience
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Successful direction of multi-faceted organization advancement efforts for at least ten years; experience in managing a team to realize goals.
QUALIFICATIONS PREFERRED: Experienced in successfully leading (design, planning, implementation, management, and successful conclusion) one or more program/capital campaigns that have raised at least $5 million. Experience with variety of fundraising event types (i.e., gala, luncheon, salon, concerts). Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
High level of confidence, humility, sense of humor and intellectual capacity to partner effectively with the CEO.
Knowledge and experience of fund development strategies and practices.
Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Skill in strategy development and deployment defining organizational goals and assessing internal and external environmental factors.
A decision-maker who has a “strategic” view and can operate in a “hands-on” capacity and is proactive.
Experienced in recruiting, developing, and retaining high caliber staff and building effective teams and team chemistry; able to motivate staff to achieve and exceed goals; a willingness to empower others to get the job done while providing the support and guidance they need.
MacPhail has retained Orion Search Group to help conduct the search for its next Vice President of Development. For more information about the opportunity, please contact Joel Bergstrom with Orion Search Group at (952) 345-1006 or email@example.com.