MICM Activities Counselor
TITLE: Activities Counselor
REPORTS TO: Residential Director
The Activities Counselor for the Madeline Island Chamber Music program is responsible for assisting in maintaining the health and safety of our students and helping create a welcoming and inclusive community.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Foster a positive community environment that supports musical achievements, embraces diversity, and celebrates differences.
- Facilitates student transitions, including orientations, and check out.
- Communicate and enforce safety and security guidelines. Monitor student behavior and intervene as needed.
- Dispense medications accurately, appropriately, and discreetly to students. Serve as liaison to Madeline Island medical clinic.
- Maintains discretion in confidentiality in relationships with students.
- Responsible for ensuring staff availability/visibility for students in coordination with other Activities Counselors and the Residential Director, including nightly rounds.
- Serve as a shuttle driver for transporting students on the island, to Bayfield, Ashland, Duluth, and other necessary destinations.
- Development and implement recreational activities that are responsive to the student’s interests and ages. Manage and inventory activity equipment.
- Participate in staff meetings to ensure smooth program implementation.
- Keep facilities safe, clean, and inviting and promote the value of doing so with students.
- Share insights and concerns regarding MICM policy and practice with Residential Director.
- Compliance with COVID-19 policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education Current college student or recent graduate
Licenses Valid Driver’s license
Experience One year experience in Residential Life within the past two years.
Skills and Abilities Willingness to learn, flexible and adaptable. Be able to connect with teenagers.
Physical Demands Occasional lifting, approximately 10 lbs., frequently sitting, occasional walking, climbing, stairs, stooping, bending, kneeling.