The web designer works with MacPhail’s internal program teams and marketing staff using creative and software skills to design, build, improve, and update MacPhail.org and sub-brand web pages. This position is responsible for an exciting user experience building webpages that are easy to understand, navigate and use, adhering to MacPhail’s design standards and specifications. Work with marketing team to acquire information on MacPhail’s constantly evolving and growing program and service offerings. This position is responsible for updating website content and reviewing SEO. This position supports other marketing functions as needed.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Consult with program and fundraising departments to get specifications, goals, and desires for their web pages to ensure functionality and satisfaction
- Keep website information fresh and up-to-the-minute accurate with relevant information creatively featured; maintain an exciting, always evolving homepage
- Review SEO, key words, and metadata descriptions to drive traffic
- Create and maintain a detailed draft of the website, outlining the various department/program web pages according to each pages’ design specs
- Design graphics, page layouts, animations, and manipulate images to suit web pages and enhance macphail.org balancing appeal with functionality and user-friendliness
- Train and be informed of macphail.org custom WordPress blocks and functionality
- Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows, and/or site maps (whatever necessary) to communicate interaction and design ideas to program staff and leadership
- Test pages across browsers, operating systems, and devices
- Optimize loading speeds and capacity
- Maintain and troubleshoot pages, debugging and fixing broken links and images as needed; address user complaints and/or issues
- Monitor and analyze site performance (traffic and conversions)
- Arrange for ongoing training and networking to keep skills sharp and expand areas of expertise
- Ensure that MacPhail’s website(s) and pages are designed in line with our organization’s brand image, target audience, student needs, and our philosophy and values to boost goals; maintain best practices and standards
- Network with other web experts, developers, graphic designers and brainstorm on new and better concepts to achieve innovative and exciting results.
- Compliance with MacPhail COVID-19 policies
- Other duties as assigned.
Education. Degree or specialization in computer, interaction, or graphic design (with web emphasis) or equivalent experience
Skills. Excellent organization and verbal and written communication skills. High attention to detail. Strong graphic design skills. Awareness of one’s own and other’s social identities. Understands and resolves cross-cultural conflicts effectively.
Abilities. Exceptional ability to generate fresh and exciting creative ideas. Maintain confidentiality. Collaborate closely with other departments. Capable of handling multiple tasks and varying workload, under tight deadlines. Strong problem solving, troubleshooting and analytical abilities.
Physical Demands. Sitting up to 6 hours at a time. Typing for up to 6 hours at a time.