Sing Play Learn Music Instructor
The Sing Play Learn (SPL) Instructor is responsible for teaching MacPhail SPL curriculum to children aged six weeks to eight years, including parent and child classes in-person and online, in MacPhail locations and partnerships in Rochester, MN. The instructor works with others in the SPL department to develop curriculum, increase retention and promote MacPhail SPL.
- Teach integrated arts music classes to children ages six weeks to eight years from a variety of MacPhail curriculums, including parent/child classes.
- Attend to the needs of the children, group and parents including any parent concerns
- Prepare materials and teaching environment for classes.
- Attend departmental meetings, all-school meetings, workshops and special events that relate to the SPL department
- Participate in continuing education opportunities in music education, early childhood education, and related disciplines, including assisting and training in other curriculums
- Plan and review curriculum with other SPL teachers
- Communicate with parents as requested to educate, increase retention and market SPL programs
- Compliance with COVID-19 policies
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Minimum BA/BS in music or music education, BA in arts-related area with demonstrated proficiency in music (singing, reading music, rhythm, basic understanding of classroom instruments, etc.), or completing the MacPhail SPL Music Instructor Training Program.
Experience: Minimum 2 years teaching experience with young children (birth – 3rd grade) preferred. Work with diverse populations preferred. Orff, Kodaly, Dalcroze and/or music therapy experience desirable.
Knowledge and Skills: Knowledge of or interest in learning about early childhood development. Demonstrated age-appropriate classroom management skills. Positive, energetic attitude and strong professionalism. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with children and adults. Flexible and adaptable.
Physical Demands: Frequent walking, sitting, stooping, bending, kneeling, and lifting, approx. 15-20 lbs. Ability to move and be physically active to effectively mentor kinesthetic learners.